Saturday, October 6, 2012

Leg Swelling Freak Out!

It isn't abnormal for me to come home from work with a  swollen feeling in my feet and legs even when I am sitting down for most of my shift. Last night though I came home and commented to Chris that it was really weird that my right leg seemed to be way more swollen then the left (if the left even was swollen). I figured it was just a weird pregnancy thing. Well anyways I randomly decided to look it up and then became REALLY alarmed when I read repetitively that it could be a sign of a blood clot, especially if the swelling is present in just one leg. This is after midnight I might add, so I was already tired and cranky and just wanted to relax before bed. Then this happened. Of course it's a Friday night as well so I couldn't even call my doctor in the morning. I didn't *think* it was a blood clot because I had no pain or red streaking in my leg but I didn't want to take a chance with my life especially when every where is telling me to get it checked out pronto.

So first I called telehealth and talked to a nurse there who basically told me that he recommended I go to the ER. I was so upset and freaking out because like I said before I really didn't want to go anywhere I just wanted to go to bed and sleep! Of course its' the middle of the night! I hate the parking lots at the hospital because the ones closer I have no idea how much they are, who can use them etc. So I always park in the biggest one. It really isn't that far from the er doors but still I am pregnant and it's the middle of the freaking night! Also I had to go by myself because Chris needed to stay home with Monkey.

I had the cell with me though so when I got there I parked as close as I could to the hospital got my cell out and talked to Chris until I got to the doors. I was prepared to kick anyone that came anywhere close to me though. Anyways they sent me up to labour and delivery because of how far along I was and hooked me up to their monitors to make sure the baby was fine. Then asked a million questions and poked my leg a bunch. I think the doctor that was on that night just determined it was normal swelling since I had no pain or red streaking but said she would order an ultrasound anyways because I guess she could see how freaked out I was. So I left dreading that I had to walk back to my car in the middle of the night by myself. You know what I found when I got back to my car? The whole parking lot is EMPTY and there was a really big van/truck parked right beside me! On the driver's door side! Like seriously! haha that annoyed me but I guess that person wanted to park as close to the hospital as they could as well. :( Yeah I am paranoid like that.

So I had to go back to the hospital in the morning and they did the ultrasound. Thankfully she found nothing so I was really relieved. I just have to mention the swelling to my doctor the next time I see him.


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...